Chili and cornbread are undoubtedly the best winter combination. Chili is the perfect comfort food on a cold day or for a meal around the bonfire. Most chili, however, contain either dairy or meat in them, so my sister and I decided to create a meatless, plant-based recipe that everyone can enjoy.
As we mentioned before, cornbread goes with chili like cookies do milk, so we decided to make vegan cornbread. It turned out decadent, sweet, and perfectly crispy on the edges. It even got the approval from our non-vegan family members! It cornbread recipe is also oil-free, gluten free, and all vegan.
This vegan chili recipe is low fat, gluten-free, low in sodium, full of veggies, plant-based proteins, and perfect for any chilly day.
Prep time: 4-5 hours Serves: 6
1 28 oz can organic crushed tomato
1 cup water or vegetable broth
1 15 oz can low sodium kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 cup sweet yellow corn
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1 tbsp coconut sugar (if you prefer less sweet use 1/2 or none)
1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
Sea salt (optional)
Juice of 1/2 lime
Ingredients for Cornbread
Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Corn Bread Mix
1 1/2 cups almond milk
1/4 cup apple sauce
4 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Directions for chili
1. Heat a pan with coconut oil or water (oil free option) and saute onions and garlic until yellow brown. Meanwhile set up crock-pot and set to high.
2. Add water/broth, crushed tomatoes, beans, veggies, sauteed garlic and onion, and spices to the crock pot. Stir well and cover. Let the chill simmer on high for a good 4-5 hours. Thirty minuets before serving, set your crock pot on low so it has time to cool down.
3. Serve on a bed of whole wheat or gluten free pasta, and top with avocado, spinach, vegan cheese, tortilla chips, or hemp hearts!
Directions for cornbread
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix the apple sauce, vinegar, and almond milk together and set aside for a few minutes. In a separate bowl, place entire packet of Bob's Red Mill corn bread mix and add wet ingredients. Stir until evenly combined and let sit for a few minutes.
2. Grease baking pan with small amount of coconut oil and pour the mixture into pan. Cook for 30-35 minuets, or longer if the middle is not set when a knife is inserted.
3. Cool before serving and enjoy.
Twins. 20 years old. Here to inspire, to learn and create, and share all things health and wellness related. Find recipes, our workouts and lifestyle.