What happens when you're craving both a sweet potato and a pizza for dinner?...well, this delicious gluten-free and vegan sweet potato pizza crust! We love incorporating sweet potatoes into our diet. Sweet potatoes are considered "super-foods", packed with vitamins, fiber, and many other incredible health benefits. Also, they taste so good!
This pizza has a deliciously sweet and savory crust that sticks together perfectly - exactly like a pizza crust should, and it has an incredible Italian-hinted flavor, crispy edges, and a sweet touch. In addition, this pizza crust is gluten-free, oil, and salt-free for those trying to avoid those ingredients.
Prep time: 1 hour or less Serves: 2-3
1 large sweet potato
1 cup oat flour
1/3 cup gluten-free flour (use your favorite brand. We recommend Trader Joes or Glutino)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 flax egg (1 tbsp milled flaxseeds 3 tbsp water)
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
1 tsp olive oil (for brushing on baking tray)
Roasted tomato sauce (or any pizza sauce)
1 handful Spring greens mix
1 large shredded carrot
1/4 cup chickpeas
4-5 kalamata olives
2 garlic cloves
1. Wash and cut the large sweet potato into medium sized pieces and cook in boiling water for 10-15 minutes until tender or a knife can be easily inserted. While the sweet potato cooks prepare the flax egg by mixing 1 tbsp of flax with 3 tbsp of water. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
3. Next, peel off the skin of the sweet potato and mash it with a fork. Add your mashed sweet potato along with the flours, flax egg, and spices to a mixing bowl and mix until evenly combined.
4. Line a pizza tray with parchment paper or foil and brush with a small drizzle of olive oil to prevent the crust from sicking (if wishing to go completely oil-free omit this step, although we have not yet tried without oil).
5. Gently spread the pizza crust onto the tray until the base is abut 1/2 inch or less thick, leaving the edges a bit thicker for an "authentic" pizza shape. Bake for at least 30-35 minutes (look for the edges to receive a crispy appearance). Remove from oven, add desired toppings, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
6. Once your pizza is finished cooking you can add some extra fun and nutritionally beneficial toppings such as hemp hearts, chia seeds, or other nuts and seeds like sunflower and pine nuts. Enjoy!
Twins. 21 years old. Here to inspire, to learn and create, and share all things health and wellness related. Find recipes, our workouts, and lifestyle.