My sister and I love this meal. It's simple, vegan, quick to make, and inexpensive for those on a budget while trying to be healthy, especially when in college. This plate is full of nutrients, veggies, and plant-based goodness. On a busy night or after a long day at class, we love whipping this up for dinner or lunch. Also, it makes for great leftovers!
1 large cup organic brown rice
2 cups water
1-2 tbsp coconut oil (or can be made with water for oil-free option)
1 bell peppers
1 large head broccoli
handful or more green beans
2-3 large carrots
1 cup green peas
1/4 yellow onion
2 cups either kale or spinach
Pinch of black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
Pinch of sea salt
Pinch of paprika
1. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil on the stove. Add rice and cover, letting it cook until the water is absorbed, or about 20 minutes.
2. While the rice cooks, wash all the veggies and cut them. Heat your frying pan to medium/high heat and add 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil, or water if you want to make this oil free.
3. Fry the onions and garlic first until they turn translucent, then add carrots and beetroot. After a about minute, add the rest of the veggies and spices. Cover and let simmer for a 5 to 10 minuets until veggies become soft and a knife can pierce them.
4. Afterwards, add fresh spinach or kale to the frying pan just before you serve so the steam softens the leaves.
Quinoa is often associated with lunch or dinner, but this protein-rich superfood grain can also be a great idea for breakfast. Just like oatmeal, quinoa is one of the healthiest grains on Earth, it's gluten-free, and is a great source of plant-based protein, vitamins, minerals, and fiber, which can help reduce blood sugar and promote weight loss.
One of our favorite ways to enjoy quinoa for breakfast is by adding fresh fruit, cinnamon, and a drizzle of maple syrup. When we want to spice it up, we cook the quinoa in coconut or almond milk, which enhances the flavor and nutrients. This simple Quinoa Breakfast Bowl recipe combines creamy coconut milk and fresh fruit for a delicious, protein-packed breakfast infused with cinnamon and a hearty, nutty flavor.
Cook time: 15 mins Total Time: 20 mins Serves: 2
1. Rinse the quinoa through a fine mesh strainer before cooking. In a cooking pot, bring 1 cup coconut milk to a boil and add the quinoa, cinnamon, vanilla, sea salt, and maple syrup . Lower heat to simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the coconut milk has absorbed and the quinoa becomes soft and fluffy.
2. Serve in bowls topped with fresh fruit, dried figs, coconut flakes, additional cinnamon, and golden berries if desired.
Twins. 21 years old. Here to inspire, to learn and create, and share all things health and wellness related. Find recipes, our workouts, and lifestyle.