Tacos are one of our favorite things to make. Who doesn't love tacos? Not only are they fun to make, they are just as fun to eat. These vegan Mexican style tacos were so delicious and we love to make them all the time! Topped with sweet and spicy oil-free refried black beans, a fresh and sweet strawberry mango salsa, chopped lettuce, and hearty quinoa, they make the perfect lunch or dinner! Powered by plant protein, full of fiber, antioxidants, and flavor, these tacos are certain to please.
Prep time: 20 mins Serves: 8
4 corn tortillas (we use Food for Life Sprouted Corn Tortillas from Whole Foods)
1 cup lettuce
1 cup quinoa (or rice)
2 cup water
Oil-free "Refried" Black Beans
1/3 cup water
1 cup sweet corn
1 15oz can of low sodium black beans
2 tbsp of coconut sugar
Cumin to taste
Black pepper to taste
Dash of cayenne
Strawbwerry Mango Salsa
4 - 5 large strawberries
1 champagne mango
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
Leaves of mint OR cilantro
Pepper to taste
1. First, heat tortillas in a toaster until the edges get crispy.
1. Measure 1 cup quinoa/rice and rinse thoroughly in a strainer. Bring two cups water to boil and add grain of choice. If cooking quinoa, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until water is absorbed. If cooking rice, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes until the water is absorbed.
For Oil-Free "Refried" Black Beans
1. Pour 1/3 cup of water into a sauce pan set on medium.
2. Rinse the black beans and pour into the sauce pan. Add the coconut sugar and spices and let simmer for about five minutes, or until the beans are soft. Mash with fork to get texture of re-fried beans.
3. Add 1 cup of sweet corn and continue to let simmer for a few minutes.
1. Cut the champagne mango and strawberries and combine them in a bowl.
2. Squeeze 2 tbsp of fresh lime juice into the bowl, add the black pepper and the chopped fresh mint/cilantro leaves. Mix until everything is combined.
3. Once everything is done, put the quinoa/rice, lettuce, fried black beans, and strawberry salsa on the corn tortillas and enjoy!
My sister and I just love tropical fruit. Pineapple, kiwi, coconut, papaya, mango, passion fruit...the list goes on. That is why one of our favorite smoothie combos is a mix of many of those fruits. This smoothie combines pineapple, mango, coconut, kiwi, and passion fruit, delivering a tangy, sweet, and refreshing bowl. It is packed with antioxidants, vitamin A, fiber, nutrients and has the fruity sweetness that will have you dreaming you are on a tropical island. When we first created this bowl, we were near the beach in Florida--does that count?
2 frozen bananas
1 frozen mango
1 fresh kiwi
Handful frozen pineapple
1. Cut frozen bananas into pieces so as to blend better. Add fruit, chia seeds, and coconut milk and blend until creamy.
2. Top with fresh fruit and your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Twins. 20 years old. Here to inspire, to learn and create, and share all things health and wellness related. Find recipes, our workouts and lifestyle.